UW Law Pro Bono Program
Fulfilling the promise of equal justice through public service.
About the Pro Bono Program
UW Law, we believe that members of the legal community have an obligation to help reduce barriers to access to justice. Providing high quality pro bono legal services to low-income clients and other under-represented groups is paramount.
UW Law School’s Pro Bono Program encourages our law school community (students, faculty and staff) to provide high quality pro bono legal assistance. We particularly encourage law students in the JD program provide at least 70 hours of law-related pro bono assistance by graduation (30 hours for LLM, MJ and PhD students).
Students who lead and manage pro bono legal assistance projects also have a unique opportunity to take UW Law’s innovative leadership and management experiential course for social justice entrepreneurs aka Pro Bono Advocacy.
By providing training, support, resources, opportunities and leadership development to our students, the program ensures that future lawyers are prepared and ready to fulfill the promise of equal justice.
Why do Pro Bono?
- Receive in-depth substantive and skills-based trainings
- Receive in depth leadership development training and support
- Receive client interviewing and counseling experience
- Receive oral advocacy experience
- Receive research and writing experience
- Receive courtroom procedure and etiquette
- Develop mentoring relationships
- Network with devoted attorneys in public interest and private firms
- Receive recognition and awards special notation at graduation (for members of the Pro Bono Honors Society only)
- Help increase equity and access to justice for underrepresented and marginalized communities
UW Law Pro Bono Events
Pro Bono Core Competencies Training:
Friday, September 23, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., room 133 (mandatory for all students interested in becoming members of Pro Bono Honors Society)
FLS Student Service Projects
Thursday, September 22, 3 – 6 p.m.; Saturday, September 24, 10 a.m. &ndash 6 p.m. (check FLS packets for more details)
Pro Bono Info Session
Get Trained. Do Pro Bono. Make a Difference, Tuesday, October 11, 12:30 – 1:20 p.m., room 127
UW Law Pro Bono Fair
Tuesday, October 18, 12:30 – 1:20 p.m., 1st floor Galleria
Additional Pro Bono Opportunities
Check out our very own Common Good blog and student public service experiences database
For more information please contact Aline Carton-Listfjeld at .