Visiting Scholars Admissions and Application

Admission to the Visiting Scholars Program is highly competitive. An appointment as a Visiting Scholar requires a formal faculty approval and is not automatic.

Application Requirements

Admission to the Visiting Scholars Program is highly competitive. An appointment as a Visiting Scholar requires a formal director approval and is not automatic.

  1. Fill out an online application and pay a non-refundable application fee ($200).
    Please note that we will not be able to process your application without this payment.
  2. Send the following documents to
    • Curriculum Vitae (CV)
    • Research Proposal
      The research proposal should be between 3-5 pages long and outline the area on which you intend to focus your research during the Program. The proposal should include the following sections – Working Title, Background, Project Statement and Plan, and Bibliography.
    • Two Letters of Recommendation
      Two (2) letters of recommendation are required. They should come from law faculty or other professionals in law who can best evaluate your capacity for research in the United States. You may have the letters mailed/e-mailed directly by the referee or send them with your supporting documents.
    • Visiting Scholars Program Intake Form
    • Letter of Financial Support From Your Sponsor
      Required for all non-U.S. applicants to process visa requests. Funding sources could include a U.S. government agency, an international organization, the Visitor’s government, the Visitor’s employer or other organization, or any combination of these. Personal funds may supplement but not substitute for institutional, governmental or employer funding. UW does not provide visa sponsorship to Visitors funded solely by personal or family funds. Combined sources of funding should be sufficient to cover expenses. The letter of financial support should guarantee at least $2100 per month for one person or $3000-$3600 with dependents (for the visa processing). Also, the letter of financial support should state the proposed dates of the research period (we cannot extend your stay beyond what your sponsor supports).
    • Photocopy of Highest Academic Degree
      A proof of highest degree is required to process visa requests.
    • Photocopy of Passport Page For You And Any Accompanying Family Members
    • Proof of English Language Proficiency
      Effective Jan. 5, 2015, visa regulations require that J-1 exchange scholars provide one of the following measurements of English language proficiency: (1) A recognized English language test; (2) Signed documentation from an academic institution or English language school

Connect with us:

© Copyright 2015, All Rights Reserved University of Washington School of Law

4293 Memorial Way Northeast, Seattle, WA 98195