Law School Commencement 2013
Date: June 9, 2013
Time: 2:30 p.m.*
Location: Meany Hall
* NOTE: family members and guests must be in their seats by 2:15 p.m.
Reception for Graduation Class immediately following on the Terrace at William H. Gates Hall.
For a graduating class of about 185 (that's about the number of J.D. grads
each year; we also have approximately 100 LL.M. students who participate):
You let us know how many tickets each would like (numbers have ranged from
zero to 30), THEN we
- Distribute an initial allotment of four each
- After a deadline has passed, we count how many tickets are leftover and do another round of distribution to
each who has requested more than four, usually one or two are checked out at this time
- We keep doing this (counting leftovers after a deadline, and handing out one or two each)
until either all of the tickets are gone and/or all requests have been filled
- Beginning Thursday, April 25, 9:00 a.m., graduates need to see Dean Speer in Room
- All tickets are signed out on a distribution sheet, with the
grad signing themselves. If someone cannot pick up their own tickets for any
reason, they must e-mail us with an appointed designee. We tell them to guard
their tickets like gold, as lost tickets *cannot* be replaced.
- We cannot hand
out more tickets than Meany Hall seats (1,200). We put our grads on stage which
frees up house seating (a big plus). We have the Meany Hall House Manager "soft"
handle those that show up at Meany w/o a ticket (they can come in and perhaps
watch the ceremony from the foyer monitor but priority seating is for those with
tickets in hand).
- We open the house more than an hour prior to the official
starting time of the ceremony. (Otherwise, families get way too nervous.) We
also open up our building for two hours to give family and friends something to
do while they wait.
Even with all tickets "sold" on paper, we've never had all seats
filled; there are always empties.
More information on the UW Commencement web page, including cap and gown rental -
“Everyone Who Needs To Get In, Gets In!”