Deadline: January 1 of the year of proposed admission
- Submit your online application at:
As part of the online application, you will be asked to pay an application fee.
Interview: In addition to submitting a full application, you
may be asked to schedule an in-person or phone interview with the Ph.D. Program
Director and/or potential faculty supervisors as part of the application process.
- Send required supplemental material.
Print this page
Applicants are required to submit the following to
Ph.D. Admissions, University of Washington, School of Law
William H. Gates Hall
Seattle, WA 98195-3020
- Printout of online Graduate School Application,
signed (original signature) and dated in the box at the bottom of the application form.
- Resume. (You also have the option of uploading this onto your online application.)
Statement of Purpose (1-2 pages). Please state the reasons for
wishing to undertake Ph.D. studies, your area(s) of research interest, and future career plans.
(You also have the option of uploading this onto your online application.)
Dissertation Proposal (5-10 pages). The proposal should be detailed enough
to show your understanding of your field of interest and the need for new, original research.
- Writing Sample (your LL.M. paper or a published article).
Official Transcripts from all colleges and universities attended,
and Degree Statement, including date of graduation and title of academic degree awarded.
(Upon admission, you will be asked to submit another official transcript for one of your degrees,
to be sent directly from the issuing institution.)
- Two (2) Letters of Recommendation from law faculty for other professionals
in law who can best evaluate your capacity for graduate study in the United States.
The letter should be on University or Company letterhead and should be signed and sealed on the exterior
by the recommender. There is no specific form for the recommendation letter.
- Proof of fulfillment of the English Proficiency Requirement.
- TOEFL score: Request Educational Testing Service to forward your TOEFL score report using our Institution Code #4854.
- IELTS score: Request IELTS to forward your official score to the University of Washington School of Law, Box 353020.