Dedicated to the promise of equal opportunity through advocacy and education
The Disability Law Alliance is an organization of law students, with and without disabilities, who are interested in the practical experience of advocating for the human rights of people with disabilities. Annual activities may include:
- Quarterly meetings
- Peer mentoring for first year students
- Social Justice Tuesday (SJT) lunch time presentations
- Practitioner dinner
- Alumni networking
- Previous Disability Law presentations
NOTE: This website is actively under construction and changes from month to month as new resources are added.
What’s happening Autumn term 2012:
Information coming soon!
Please see presentations of past Disability Law presentations.
UW Disability Community Resources
Disabililty Law Alliance Publications
Guide to Disability Related Resources: Organizations, Offices, Programs, and Publications at the University of Washington, 2011/2012 Academic Year. This comprehensive compilation of more than thirty disability related resources at the UW includes contact information, locations and concise descriptions of resources offered.
I. General Resources – Getting Started
- Accessible forms for requesting accommodations from the Disability Resources for Students Office
- What are the legal definitions of a disability and a reasonable accommodation under federal and Washington State law?
- I’ve been denied disabled status by Social Security; does that mean I am not eligible for a disability accommodation from the University of Washington? The distinction between functional versus medical definitions of disability.
II. Advocacy Resources:
Administrative Policy Statement (APS) 46.3 -
Resolution of Complaints Against University Employees
This UW complaint policy applies to filing many types of complaints including a discrimination complaint based on disability
- Filing a Disability Discrimination Complaint: A Student guide to self-advocacy at the UW (This resource is currently being developed and will be completed by June 2012)
III. Resources for Law Students:
List of UW Law School Alumni who have volunteered to be available to students for an informational interview about their legal career.
University of Washington School of Law’s Diversity Commitment: Student Survey and Complaint Review and Resolution Process
The 5th Annual NALSWD Conference (March 9-11, 2012)
Northwest ADA Center
Serves Region 10 (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon and Washington)
(425) 248-2480 (V)