Lawyers Resolve Disputes
Lawyers Working on Disputes...
- Analyze dispute's context and legal parameters
- Listen to clients or parties to understand their concerns
- Advocate for clients’ goals in courts or other forums
- Facilitate a resolution to parties' disputes, keeping the peace
- Interview clients and gather facts
- File claims for clients or defend against them
- Shepherd cases through courts, administrative agencies, arbitration, or mediation
- Ensure existing laws are implemented in practice
- Settle cases, operate as "neutrals" to decide cases as judges or arbitrators, or resolve disputes through mediation
Lawyers working on disputes affect public policy by:
- Obtaining favorable interpretations of the law from judges in individual cases, class action lawsuits, or “impact litigation"
- Utilizing advocacy skills in new forums and seeking new or changed legislation or regulations in order to pursue client goals