UW LL.M. Program Frequently Asked Questions

Eligibility hide all  show all

  • Are any programs for International students only?
    Both domestic and international students are welcome to apply to all LL.M. programs.
  • Do I need a law degree to apply to the LL.M. program?
    • Domestic applicants must hold a J.D. from a law school that is a member of the Association of American Law Schools and approved by the American Bar Association. International students must have a first degree in law (LL.B., B.Law) or credentials to demonstrate equivalent qualification through work experience and their professions.
    • For the Asian Law, Global Business, Sustainable International Development, and General programs, those who have passed a bar exam and are practicing lawyers in their own country are usually deemed to have LL.B. equivalence for the purposes of admission.
  • Do I need to take the LSAT or GRE?
  • Is there a foreign-language requirement for native English speakers?
    English-speaking applicants wishing to pursue the Asian Law Track must be proficient in an Asian language or a language in which original research on Asian law can be conducted. Proficiency for this purpose means a minimum level of reading, writing and speaking ability equivalent to the level reached after completing a third-year college course.
  • Who is considered an international student?
    An international student is anyone who IS NOT a U.S. citizen and does not hold a U.S. Permanent Resident Visa (i.e., "Green Card or Immigrant"). This definition also includes students who hold U.S. visas, such as F-1 students, exchange visitors, or any other non-immigrant classifications.
  • What are the English-language requirements for non-native speakers?
    International and foreign-educated applicants are expected to have a high level of ability in reading, writing and making presentations in English. Every applicant whose native language is not English must demonstrate English language proficiency. Proficiency may be demonstrated in these ways:
    1. ONE of the following minimum English language proficiency tests score is required (test scores must be less than two years old):
      • 580 on the TOEFL
      • 237 on the TOEFLC
      • 92 on the TOEFLiBT
      • 7.0 on the IELTS
      • Health, Intellectual Property, and Taxation only: Successful completion of the UW Intensive English Program prior to admission to the University of Washington.
    2. A bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the United States or from an institution in Australia, the Bahamas, Canada, Ireland, Jamaica, New Zealand, Singapore, Trinidad and Tobago, or the United Kingdom.
    3. Official documentation from the institution verifying that the applicant’s undergraduate degree is from an institution (in a country other than those listed in b above) where all instruction is in English. The undergraduate degree must be equivalent to a U.S. bachelor’s degree. Documentation must be presented to the Graduate School.
  • Can I take English classes while I am pursuing an LL.M. degree?
    Occasionally students with a TOEFL score slightly below 580 (paper-based), 237 (computerized), or 92 (internet-based) are admitted to the LL.M. program. However, students with scores below University of Washington standards are required to enroll in AEP Course Placement courses, at additional cost beyond LL.M. tuition.
  • Do my transcripts need to be translated into English?
    All international records are considered official if they have been certified or attested and must be submitted in the original language accompanied by an official English translation. Translations must be literal, complete versions of original records, and a university, a government official, or an official translation service must translate the documents. You cannot do your own translation.
  • What are the work requirements for admission to the programs?
    • Asian Law, Global Business, Sustainable International Development, and General: We generally require LL.M. candidates to have at least two years of professional work experience. This requirement may be waived in special circumstances specific to the applicant.
    • Health, Intellectual Property, and Taxation: Work experience is preferred but not required.

See also

Skip Navigation Links

Connect with us:

© Copyright 2015, All Rights Reserved University of Washington School of Law

4293 Memorial Way Northeast, Seattle, WA 98195