Gates PSL Scholars are selected from among the group of students admitted each year to the University of Washington School of Law. Scholars are evaluated on the following criteria:
- Applicant’s personal commitment to public interest work as evidenced by previous work and/or volunteer experience.
- Strength of an applicant’s essay describing personal vision and factors that have influenced his/her choice of public service as a career path.
- The extent to which the applicant can make a positive contribution to the Program as evidenced by his/her portfolio of experiences and interests.
- Prospects for the quality of the applicant’s performance as a student and a lawyer.
- Apparent good character including integrity.
- When applicants appear equally qualified selection shall be determined on the basis of financial need.