Gates PSL Scholarship Application Procedure
Note: Applicants to the Gates PSL Scholarship must also have submitted an application for admission to the UW School of Law J.D. program.
Admission for the Gates PSL Scholarship requires the following documents:
- Gates Application Form - Applicants to the Gates Public Service Law Scholarship must submit a signed and completed form. Adobe PDF
- Cover letter - The cover letter is more than a listing of the contents of your application. It should address why you are applying for the scholarship, your commitment and experience in the field of public service, or why public service law and the Gates Program are the right fit for you. Your cover letter should not exceed two (2) pages.
- Essay - The William H. Gates Public Service Law Program is in honor of William H. Gates Sr. and his commitment to public service. Please discuss the factors that have shaped your vision for public service and have influenced your public service commitment. This essay is in addition to the personal statement you submitted as part of your for J.D. admission, which will also be reviewed by the selection committee.
Please limit your response to 700 words.
- Résumé - Please provide a résumé, which details your public service experience. If you would like to use your résumé you submitted as part of your J.D. application, please indicate that on the Gates Application Form.
- Recommendations - Two (2) recommendations that describe your commitment to potential contributions to public service are required.
Recommendations are to be submitted using the Gates PSL Scholarship Recommendation Forms below. Recommenders are also encouraged to provide a letter of recommendation that can be included as part of the form. Recommendations should signed, completed, and sent as a PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: these recommendations are in addition to the letters of recommendation you submitted as part of your J.D. admission application. The selection committee will also evaluate those letters.
Gates PSL Scholarship Recommendation Form: Adobe PDF
All application materials (including recommendations) must be sent to email@example.com by January 15, 5:00PM Pacific Standard Time. There are no exceptions.