Gates PSL Scholarship Application Procedure
Note: Applicants to the Gates PSL Scholarship must also have submitted an application for admission to the UW School of Law J.D. program.
Admission for the Gates PSL Scholarship requires the following documents:
- Cover letter, not to exceed 2 pages, the cover letter is more than a listing of the contents of your application. By way of an example, the cover letter can address why you are applying for the scholarship, your commitment and experience in the field of public service or why public service law and the Gates Program are the right fit for you.
- Essay, not to exceed 750 words, discussing the factors that have shaped your vision and influenced your public service commitment. This essay is in addition to the personal statement required for J.D. admission.
- Two recommendations related to commitment to potential contributions to public service.
These recommendations can be submitted either on Gates PSL Scholarship Recommendation Forms or as letters (with the recommendation form waiver section signed by the applicant and attached). Recommendations should be submitted in envelopes that have been sealed and signed (over the seal) by the recommender.
(These recommendations will be in addition to the letters of recommendation required by the UW School of Law J.D. admission application).
Gates PSL Scholarship Recommendation Form: MS Word | Adobe PDF
- Resume with details of public service experience
- Signed Application Form: MS Word | Adobe PDF
Applications must be post-marked by January 15. Applications for the Gates PSL Program are to be submitted in a single envelope labeled Gates PSL Scholarship Application, which must include the letters of recommendation (sealed) together with other application materials. No late applications will be accepted.
Applications for the Gates PSL Scholarship should be mailed to:
William H. Gates Public Service Law Program
Applications must be post-marked by January 15. No late applications will be accepted.
University of Washington School of Law
Seattle, Washington 98195-3020