Applications Are Open For The Barer Institute Fellowship
The UW School of Law’s Sustainable International Development Law program is pleased to announce that the Barer Institute Fellowship is now open for application
to the 2016-17 academic year. The Barer Institute focuses on the multidisciplinary role of law in promoting health, education, and economic development.
The goal of the Institute is to utilize lawyers as leaders in providing advice and solutions to these issues in lower and middle income developing countries.
Guidelines and Application Process
The Barer Institute Fellowship will fully fund (with tuition, lodging and travel) an international lawyer from a developing country to pursue studies
related to the development of health, education, and economic development in their home country The UW Law Barer Fellow will spend an academic year at the
University of Washington in the Sustainable International Development LL.M. Program. The person selected as a Barer Fellow must be ready to commence
his/her studies in late August 2016 for a period of one year.
The deadline for receipt of applications is March 1, 2016.
Student Qualifications / Criteria for applying:
- Demonstrated need in the home country for improved legal infrastructure in the focus areas of health, education, and economic development.
- A first degree in law or equivalent.
- A commitment to return to the home country.
- Strong English skills. The following minimum score is required, (test scores must be less than two years old):
Evidence of leadership skills.
Applicants may be required to participate in an interview via telephone or Skype.
- 580 TOEFL
- 92 TOEFLiBT
- 7.0 IELTS
If you have questions regarding the Barer Institute or the application process please contact
Melissa Kane at .
Candidates should submit the following materials. The applicant should submit all of his/her materials if possible in one email or mailing. Please send documents in MS-Word, pdf or text file format. Do not send jpeg, gif or other photo scans.
- At least two letters of recommendation from legal professionals in the home country. References may be submitted via email to Barerifl@uw.edu
- Copies of official transcripts and degree statements.
- Resume or CV; and
- A substantive study proposal (1-2 pages) addressing the demonstrated need.
Please submit your application via email to by March 1, 2016 at 5 p.m. Pacific Time. You may also mail your application to:
UW Barer Institute Fellowship
c/o Sustainable International Development Graduate program
University of Washington School of Law
Seattle, WA 9815
Please note – Applicants for the scholarship will not be asked to complete the LL.M. application unless he or she is selected as the scholarship recipient. Please disregard any admissions deadlines for the LL.M.