UW School of Law > Technology Services > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Personal Computers



UW Tools

Course-Related Technology

Technical Support


Computer and Printing Resources on Campus

Other Questions

Personal Computers

Does the Law School have a personal computer requirement?

No. However, if you are shopping for a new computer for use at the Law School, recommended system specs can be found below.

If you choose not to own or don't have access to a personal computer, William Gates Hall has public terminals in the Law Library, and the UW Seattle campus has a number of computing facilities and labs open to students.

What specifications does the Law School recommend for Windows-based laptops/tablets?

Ideal -

  • Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium (or better) (What about Windows 8?)
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon, or higher
  • RAM: 4GB or higher
  • Hard Disk: 300GB+, 7200RPM+
  • Network (Ethernet) Adapter: 100Mb+
  • DVD or CD burner
  • 2 or more USB 2.0 ports
  • 14-inch+ display
  • 802.11 a/b/g compatible wireless network adapter (laptop systems)
  • Active warranty coverage

Minimum -

  • Operating System: Windows XP Home with Service Pack 3
  • Processor: Pentium M or AMD Sempron
  • RAM: 2GB
  • Hard Disk: 80GB, 5400 RPM
  • Network (Ethernet) Adapter: 10Mb
  • 802.11 b/g compatible wireless network adapter
  • CD drive
  • 2 USB 1.1 ports
  • 12-inch display
  • Active warranty coverage

What version of Windows should I use?

If you are a Windows user, Law School Technology Services' current computer recommendations (above) specify Windows 7.

What About Windows 8?

At this time, Law School Technology Services is only able to provide limited, "best effort" technical support for student computers that run Windows 8.

Can I use a Mac laptop or iPad at the Law School?


Mac users should note this information about using a Mac laptop to take an exam. Additionally, a number of computer labs on the UW campus provide Macs for student use as well as increased support for Mac applications.

Can I use my Macintosh laptop to take an exam?

Yes. When using a computer on an exam, the Law School requires the use of Exam4, a program which blocks access to the network and your locally-stored files. See the Exam4 compatiblity list to be sure the program will run on your Mac.

Can the Law School loan me a laptop?

No, but laptops are available for loan from UW Classroom Support Services.

Can I receive financial aid to assist in purchasing a computer?

The Financial Aid Office may be able to offer you loan funds to assist toward the purchase of a computer, provided the computer will be used for educational purposes. For more information, visit the Office of Student Financial Aid website and search on the word "computer" to locate the document on requesting consideration for unusual expenses.

Where can I buy any software or hardware I may need?

A number of resources are available:


How do I use email at the Law School?

The School of Law's email services are provided and maintained by UW-IT, whose website provides more information.

How do I configure my email program?

UW-IT's website offers configuration instructions for many commonly-used email programs.

What happens to my UW email account after I graduate?

Information about retaining access to your UW email account after graduation is provided on UW-IT's website.


Does UW provide students with anti-virus software?

Yes. Law School students are strongly encouraged to install Sophos Anti-Virus on their computers, which is provided free to all current students by UW-IT.

Before installing Sophos Anti-Virus on your computer, you will need to first uninstall any antivirus software that may already be present on your system. The use of multiple antivirus programs on a system can negatively impact its stability and performance. Many systems come with preinstalled antivirus software that expires after a period of time, at which point you have to purchase an update subscription. There isn't a need to spend your money to renew a trial version of antivirus software - use Sophos instead, which is provided to you for free by the University.

What should I do if my system has a virus?

Lawhelp will provide technical support to properly disinfect your system. If your system is running outdated or expired antivirus software - or no antivirus software whatsoever - we will install Sophos Anti-Virus to protect your system against future infections. This service is provided because of the impact that an infected system can have on the Law School and/or University network as a whole.

Do I need to keep my Windows-based computer updated with the latest security patches?

Yes. Because of the heterogeneous nature of the student computing environment, Technology Services cannot provide the student body with the same level of support that it provides faculty and staff. Considering this, it is the responsibility of the student to properly update and secure their systems.

We strongly recommend that you update your Windows system at http://update.microsoft.com prior to your first use of the UW network.

Doing so will help keep your Windows system protected from the ever increasing number of threats and software exploits that it is susceptible to when on the internet. The following resources provide instructions and recommendations for keeping a Windows system up-to-date with the proper patches and service packs:

In the event that a student system is compromised or affected by an unpatched security vulnerability, Lawhelp will provide technical support to properly repair the system. This service is provided because of the impact that an affected system can have on the Law School and/or University network as a whole; in some cases, UW-IT must block a compromised system from accessing the UW network. The owner of the blocked system will need to contact Lawhelp to properly clean and patch the system so it may again be allowed access to the network.

Course-Related Technology

How do I request a recording of my class?

Information about class recordings can be found here. The recording request form is linked at the upper right of the page.

How do I subscribe to podcasts?

To subscribe to podcasts using iTunes, follow these step-by-step instructions:

UW Tools

What is a UW NetID, and how do I get one?

Your UW NetID is your personal identification for using UW online resources. A UW NetID is required of everyone associated with the University of Washington who plans on using online central administrative programs and computing services. Your UW NetID ensures the privacy of your personal information and restricts the use of resources to those for whom they are intended.

Your UW NetID remains the same throughout your life, no matter what associations you have with the University of Washington.

Once your seat deposit has been processed, you may setup your UW NetID . To do so, visit https://uwnetid.washington.edu/newid/.You will need to enter your Star Private Access Code. If you don't know or remember this code, call the Registration Office at 206-543-8580 for assistance.

Additional information and support for your UW NetID is available here.

Does the University provide students with a way to store and share files?

Students have access to the centrally-managed UW Google Apps or U Drive services.

Additionally, information on creating a webpage within University-provided server space can be found here.

Technical Support

What is the School of Law's technical support policy for students?

Technology Services provides comprehensive support for the software and Law School-managed services which students use to fulfill their academic responsibilities. Additionally, we provide students with technical support for issues affecting the stability and security of resources used by the broader Law School and/or UW communities.

Technology Services is unable to perform hardware repairs on student-owned technology equipment. However, we can provide students with general advice and basic, high-level diagnoses for hardware-related problems, as guidance for contacting the equipment manufacturer or appropriate repair service.

How do I contact technical support?

Since different campus organizations maintain the technology in use at the Law School, refer to this document to determine who to contact.


How do I use the William Gates Hall wireless network?

For information about using the William Gates Hall wireless network, please see http://www.law.washington.edu/Computing/wireless.aspx.

What should I do if my access to the wireless network is blocked?

In some cases, UW-IT must block a compromised system from accessing the UW network in order to protect other networked systems. For more information, please see http://www.law.washington.edu/Computing/wireless.aspx.

Computer and Printing Resources on Campus

Where are there computers available for law student use?

The Marian Gould Gallagher Law Library (William Gates Hall floors L1 and L2) provides terminals in the student lounge in L113, as well as public computer terminals in the library commons area. There are also multiple computer labs on the UW Seattle campus.

How can I print documents to Law School printers?

The Law School uses the campus pay-per-job printing system, aka Dawg Prints. Dawg Prints printers are located in room L114 and the L2 copy alcove, both within the Law Library.

The Dawg Prints printing software, installation instructions, and a guide to configuring your system for wireless printing can be found at the Dawg Prints website.

Other Questions

Where do I go for questions about my Husky card?

Please contact the Law School Building Coordinator at

Last updated 4/7/2014