Information for 1Ls
- Finalize your resume, cover letter, and list of references.
Sample cover letters and resumes
- Identify practice areas; use the self-assessment tools found in the “Find a Practice Area”
- By mid-October, you will have access to Symplicity. Log on and
request an appointment to meet with your Career Coach after October 15. Email
your resume and cover letter to your coach at least 2 days before your meeting.
- After your resume has been reviewed by your Career Coach, upload it to Symplicity.
Your resume must be in the system for you to see complete job postings.
- Beginning December 1, you may submit applications to employers
for summer positions.
- Attend information sessions for the 1L Diversity
Fellowship Programs and the
1L Puget Sound
Area Minority Fellowship Program.
- If you are interested in leaving Seattle for the summer, consider national
diversity fellowship programs. Information
about these opportunities can be
- Attend workshops organized by the CPLD and CPSL. You can find a schedule of
- Judicial Externship applications are due in early January.
- Schedule a mock interview with your 1L mentor or your
- Set aside an hour each week to meet classmates
for lunch, visit professors during office hours, and set up informational interviews.
- Join the William O. Douglas Society to learn about opportunities
outside Washington and to connect with alumni.
- If you are interested in pursuing a post-graduate
clerkship, select courses for 2L year that will provide you with the
opportunity to have strong letters of recommendation. We recommend trying to
take at least two courses with two faculty members.
- Enroll in a clinic
during your 2L year to get some hands-on legal experience.
- Participate in
Fall Recruiting Program events.
- Prepare application materials for 2L Summer Diversity Programs; applications are
Recent Presentations & Materials(password protected)
For easiest viewing and listening, please download by right clicking and saving the material first.
- Cover Sheet
- Workshop 1: Navigating Career Services for JD Students --
and Goal Form
- Workshop 2: Interest Inventory & Self-Assessment --