UW School of Law > Admissions > Admissions FAQ

Frequently Asked Questions


When does the J.D. application cycle begin? When can I apply?

The J.D. application cycle begins on October 1. Applicants may apply at this time.

Does the UW School of Law have rolling admissions?

Yes. Admissions decisions are made on a rolling admissions basis. This means that admissions decisions are made as completed applications are received and reviewed.

When is the J.D. application deadline?

All J.D. application materials must be postmarked by March 15. NOTE: If you intend to apply for the Gates Public Service Law Scholarship, your J.D. application AND your Gates Public Service Law Scholarship application must be submitted by January 15. There are no exceptions.

How can I apply? Where can I access the J.D. application?

The application becomes available through LSAC and on our website on October 1. Applicants may apply electronically through LSAC at www.lsac.org. We strongly encourage students to apply using LSAC’s services, however, you can also download and print our applications and forms as PDF files from our website. Be sure to review the admissions policies and application procedures by visiting the How to Apply page on our website.

Is there an application fee?

Yes. The application fee is $60.

Do you grant application fee waivers?

We are pleased to offer a limited number of application fee waivers to qualified candidates, as well as those who have received an LSAT/CAS fee waiver. Please email our office at lawadm@uw.edu to receive the Application Fee Waiver Form.

Can I apply for admission if I am already a lawyer from another country?

Yes. Be sure to review the admissions policies and application procedures by visiting the How to Apply page on our website, and the International Applicants section (above) of the Frequently Asked Questions page of our website.

Does the UW School of Law allow admissions interviews?

Due to the amount of applications we receive each year, we do not interview applicants. Our staff members are available, however, to answer your questions about the admissions process. You may contact us at 206-543-4078 or lawadm@uw.edu.

What does the Admissions Committee look for in an applicant’s personal statement?

At the UW School of Law, the primary goal of the admissions process is to enroll students who demonstrate outstanding academic and professional promise and whose background and experience will enhance the diversity of the student body, thereby enriching the law school educational environment. An applicant will be regarded as potentially contributing to student diversity if his or her background or experience would not ordinarily be well represented in the student body. Applicants are invited to describe factors that indicate diversity and other aspects of their backgrounds that would benefit the diversity of the law school community. Please limit your response to 700 words or less.

Do you require letters of recommendation?

Yes. We require two letters of recommendation.

How about evaluations?

Evaluations are optional; we accept two evaluations.

Who should write my letters of recommendation?

The strongest recommendation is from a professor who knows your work well. If you have been out of school for some time, professional or work recommendations are more appropriate. Your letters of recommendation should be sent through LSAC. For applicants who have been out of school for a period of time, letters from employers or direct supervisors are encouraged. We would recommend those applicants to discuss with those recommenders the areas of interest to the Admissions Committee including, but not limited to: analytical skills, communication skills, writing skills, etc.

When are admissions decisions made?

Decisions will be made on completed applications from mid-autumn through April 1.

Once I have been offered admission to the University of Washington School of Law, when is my deposit due?

Deposits must be postmarked by May 1.

Can I defer my enrollment?

Deferrals are considered on a case-by-case basis for one year only (two years for Peace Corps or Teach for America candidates). Requests for deferral must be submitted in writing to lawadm@uw.edu.

How do I apply for financial aid?

To apply for federal financial aid, you must have a FAFSA form processed by February 28. Scholarship applications are mailed out to admitted applicants with their acceptance letter. Only U.S. citizens and permanent residents are eligible for federal aid. See our Financial Aid website for more details.

How do I apply for a transfer/non-degree admission?

Transfer applications are available on May 1 and are due July 15. You can apply electronically through LSAC by visiting www.lsac.org or you can download the application and forms from our website. The application fee is $60. For more information, visit the Transfer Applicants page on our website.

How do I apply for the LL.M. Degree?

To apply for the LL.M. degree, please see the following program websites:

Last updated 12/30/2014